This is an update to a previous blog post where I described how I was able to use custom fonts in my docbook -> dblatex -> pdf toolchain by switching to the XeTeX backend.
I closed that blog post with a few caveats:
I’m pleased to say that I’ve recently revisited my publishing toolchain and two of those three caveats are no longer an issue.
Through a series of unexpected clicks on the dblatex releases page I found myself looking at links to download newer versions of dblatex than I was presently using. Though the updates are not scheduled for inclusion in Fedora 17, they are (going to be) available in Fedora 18 and Fedora 19. I quickly skimmed over the changelogs and found some interesting bug fixes. Such as:
Because I’m targeting smaller book dimensions for the Virtual Disk Guide I was most interested in the first fix mentioned: the removal of hard-coded paper sizes. Unfortunately, the documentation on the official dblatex site has not been updated in quite some time. It seems that they’re still displaying an early 0.3.x release of the docs.
Wouldn’t you know it… Some kind souls out there on the Internets have actually built and host the most recent version of the dblatex documentation online! Now I’m able to get a smaller page format which is suitable for the dimension options on lulu.com without having to directly hack any of the dblatex styles. All it takes now is: <xsl:param name=”paper.type”>a5paper</xsl:param> Header and footer content receive appropriate margins automatically, too. No more fussing around!
Using TTF fonts with DocBook and dblatex | Technitribe | not at all like a diatribe
23 Jun 2013 01:06 pm
[…] Update: Using TTF Fonts with DocBook and Dblatex […]